02 Mar 2015
Sometimes, there is little space to work with and the road is the only place we can safely place our skips. For obvious reasons, we can’t just place a skip in the road whenever we want – a road permit must be acquired from the local council before doing so. This isn’t a complicated process, here’s everything that you need to know.
What Is a Road Permit?
A road permit is proof that everything has been cleared with the relevant authorities, giving us free rein to place your skip in the road for as long as the permit allows. It is especially important to have a permit as the punishments for illegally obstructing the highway can be costly.
Norfolk and Suffolk councils require all skips that are on the highway to have a permit. To obtain a permit, a company must be able to prove that they have liability insurance to the value of £5 million. We are fully insured and have all the relevant documentation to prove this.
How Do We Obtain Permits?
Every time a customer requires a road permit, we must fill out an application form. This is a statutory requirement that covers skips being placed on the public highway, verge, path or road.
Only skip hire companies that are registered with their local council can apply for a road permit. Before we apply for a permit, we must find out if the person requires one. Our online booking process covers this stage, asking customers to clarify where their skip will be placed and giving them the option of driveway, garden or road. When a customer selects the road option, they will see a message stating that obtaining a permit will cost an additional fee of £40 and warning them the process can take up to 3 days.
We go to the council to apply for the permit. The council then assess the application and check the suitability of the road to house the skip. If the application for the permit is rejected, we’re afraid the fee is non-refundable. Naturally, we will refund the price of the skip if no alternative location can be found.

Post a comment