Frequently Asked Questions

Not sure about our ground policies regarding skip hire? Below is some of the more common questions that may provide you with the answers you need. If you have further questions that are not stated here, feel free to contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Skips are used for the removal of non-hazardous waste such as building debris, household items and green waste etc. If you need to dispose of hazardous waste you need special permits and containers. It is illegal for you to mix hazardous waste with non-hazardous waste.

You may also request skips for scrap metal. These are available at a minimal cost and sometimes, even for free, depending on transportation costs and the volume of metal contained.

  • Mini
  • 6 Yds
  • 8 Yds
  • 10 Yds
  • 14 Yds
  • Hook Bins which are 20 and 40 Yds.

Your waste will be processed at an authorised treatment facility according to all UK and EU legislation. We aim to recycle as much as waste as possible by separating materials, continuously seeking ways to improve environmental performance wherever possible.

If you require a detailed summary of what happens to your waste we can provide this information for a fee.

For safety reasons you must not over-fill your skip. To ensure the skip is safe to transport, you must ensure that it is not filled past the top of the sides. Over-filled skips will not be taken under any circumstances.

If you are unsure you must ask the driver before you start to fill your skip

A skip can be placed anywhere on your private property provided that the driver can access the location when the skip wagon returns to collect it. You may NOT move a skip when it has been placed, or you may make it inaccessible. Always give clear instructions to the skip wagon driver when he arrives at your premises.

If you want to place your skip on public land (i.e. the road or pathway) you will require a permit from your Local Authority. TBS Skip Hire will arrange this for you and any Local Authority charges will be added to your quote.

This depends on the size and quantity of your waste. Skips are normally better suited to the removal of dense and heavy waste, but can of course be used for any legal waste items.

Our skip size guide should be able to help you but if you’re still unsure call 01437 890074 for advice or send us an email.

Below is a list of our unnacepted and Hazardous waste. If you have any of these, please call us to arrange appropriate removal, as this will require a special license and type of waste removal solution.


•  Asbestos
•  Medical waste
•  Gas cylinders
•  Solvents
•  Corrosive liquid
•  Biological waste
•  Laboratory waste
•  Batteries
•  Aerosols
•  Pesticides
•  Anti-freeze
•  Paint
•  Waste oils
•  Motor oils
•  Vehicle batteries
•  Vehicle wheels
•  Fire extinguishers
•  Florescent tubes and light bulbs
•  Televisions and computer monitors
•  Fridges
•  Plasterboard
•  Explosives

As a guide we would ask for 9-10 feet width on the entrance to a driveway to allow the skip lorry to get in. However, it may be possible for the skip to be dropped onto the driveway from the entrance to the property.

We would always recommend calling your local council and enquiring, giving them as much detail as possible. As a rule of thumb, you don’t need to inform them – but if you need to leave your skip on a public highway (such as a sidewalk or street) you must obtain a permit. We can do this for you, if you inform us.

TBS Skip hire will provide the skip for 30 days as standard. If you require the skip for more than 30 days, skip may be for available for longer for special circumstances.